How to Get Scholarship Money for Culinary School

So now that you know you want to be a chef, and you know that you want to do it right and go to a culinary school for an accredited degree, the next question is: How do you pay for it? If the money is not in your bank account, you can either ask generous friends and relatives for help, or you can borrow the money, or you can get a scholarship (or more than one scholarship).

There are two sources of scholarship money for culinary school: public and private. Public funds – better known as federal aid are available to you if you meet the following requirements:

* You must be able to demonstrate financial need (except for some loans)

* You must be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen with a valid Social Security number

* The degree or certificate you’re working toward must be in an eligible program.

* If you’re a man, you’ll have to register with the Selective Service, if you’re between the ages of 18 and 25

* You’ll have to maintain satisfactory academic progress once in school (this differs school to school, but you’ll want at least a 2.5 or 3.0 GPA)

* You’ll need a high school diploma or a GED Certificate

* You’ll have to pass an approved ability-to-benefit test

* You may have to meet other standards your state establishes that FSA has approved

To start the process of funding culinary school, you’ll need to fill out the application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form at It is free to fill out. After you’ve filled out the form the FSA will review your application and then contact your school and tell them how much federal aid you’re eligible for.

You’ll need to fill out the FAFSA form for each year you’re in school. Be sure to fill out the form as soon as possible – the longer you wait, the less money will be available.